Our Church History
We are proud of our church's rich history, while being humble servants that direct all glory to our Heavenly Father for His many blessings through the years. Our church has grown through the years, and we wanted to share important milestones in our history.
In 1901, the Denison Baptist Church (now the First Baptist Church) named a committee to organize a Sunday School in South Denison. At first, the Sunday School met in residences, but more room was soon needed. A lot was leased and a small frame building was erected at 711 S. Crockett. On November 15, 1905, the mission was organized into Calvary Baptist Church, with Rev. J.M. Talley as our first pastor. Property was purchased at 130 W. Munson, and the small frame building was moved from Crockett Avenue to the rear of the lot on the new location, while a larger frame building was constructed.
In 1908, the South Side Baptist Church, which had previously been organized by Rev. J.M. Talley, consolidated with Calvary Baptist Church. The merged congregation adopted the name of Southside Calvary Baptist Church with Rev. Joseph C. Cook as pastor.
In April 1929, a men's group was organized under the leadership of Rev. L.R. Lamb. It was named Calvary Caleb Club (forerunner of The Brotherhood).
In 1947, a frame building was erected on the rear of the lot at 130 W. Munson Street for a growing Intermediate Sunday School and Training Union class.
On November 14, 1948, the church celebrated Charter Member Day, celebrating our 43rd anniversary.
In 1950, a chapel (Calvary Baptist Chapel) was set at the corner of Lamar and Prospect Streets by moving a small building on the lot. Plans were made for a new Educational Building. In 1953, Calvary Baptist Chapel became Epting Memorial Baptist Church.
On July 19, 1953, the church celebrated being debt-free.
On August 5, 1953, Belmont Mission began after a brush arbor revival sponsored by the Brotherhood. The Brotherhood rented a five-room house at 1320 South 7th Street. With volunteer labor, it was ready for services on August 30, 1953. Belmont became a Church on August 20, 1961.
On February 10, 1954, the church voted to relocate due to the expansion of Highway 75 and the crowded facilities at the Munson Street site.
On May 13, 1956, the present location at 300 West Acheson was secured. On the same date, the church voted to issue $100,000 bonds for the construction of the present building. On July 29, 1956, the church had ground-breaking ceremonies at 300 W. Acheson. On August 20, 1956, construction began at 300 W. Acheson. On September 15, 1957, the first services were held at 300 W. Acheson.
On November 16, 1980, Rev. Eugene Hoover was pastor when the 75th anniversary was celebrated. On November 12, 1995, the church celebrated 90 years of service with Rev. Greg Smith as pastor. On November 15, 2005, the church celebrated its 100th anniversary under the leadership of Rev. Greg Smith.
Over the past 100+ years, Calvary Baptist Church has been blessed by our Heavenly Father in too many ways to mention. Many precious souls have come to know Him as Savior and Lord, and that is our greatest accomplishment as a church! Today, we have a HERITAGE to inspire us on to bigger and better things for the Lord.